Monday 11 July 2011

Paper cut art

The world of art is a rich place, and when you wander around in it, you come across many valuable treasures.  Internet has made it even easier to explore the rare and the uncommon. While surfing the net, I came across a form of art in which images/silhouettes are created without any brush or paints; rather the only tool used is a sharp blade. The image is created by cutting out shapes from the paper, and it is then displayed on another paper of a contrasting colour. This form of art is popular Polish folk art known as Wycinanki...also found in China, Japan and also in India where it is known as Devasthanakala( depicting images of Radha-Krishna). In India, it is practiced mainly in UP, in the temples dedicated to Lord Krishna. This is one more of those dying arts in our great country as very few people practice it now.
I was fascinated by the art, and decided to try my hand at it...here are a few of my early attempts.

 A Peacock in moonlit night...
Girl feeding birds...


I am so in love with this art form that I'm determined to keep practicing it further. So you people can expect to see more of this in the coming days....
I hope you enjoyed seeing these as much as I enjoyed making them. You can check out more Indian paper cutting art at www.papercuttingartprabal.com  

4 comments:

  1. Art of any form show the creative side of a person and I can say you are too creative.. loved the image with girl feeding birds.. carry on with your love for this art and touch new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tht was a gud one like always..

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely indeed...!! Its great to see you following your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful indeed this art is :)

    ReplyDelete